This article basically guides you, how you can create a windows startup disk for access a drive, which has a faulty startup sequence on an Intelx86-processor-based computer. You can access a drive with this windows boot disk, which has the Windows NT file system or file allocation table (FAT) file system installed.
Advantage and Disadvantage
This is helpful to work around some startup problems, like
- It is useful to corrupted startup sector.
- It is helpful in corrupted master boot record.
- It can help in the virus infection problems
- Missing or corrupted NTLDR or Ntdetect.com.
- You can start from shadow of the broken mirror with this startup disk system, it can be helpful for this purpose, you can also change the boot.ini file to do this
This is not working in these following situations, like
- If you installed incorrect or corrupt device driver into windows system folder.
- Startup problems can occur after the OSLOADER screen.
To remove this problems, you can run the emergency repair disk, load the last known good control set or reinstall the windows.
Procedure to create a windows startup floppy disk
This procedure bsically describes to create a bootable floppy disk for windows XP and it access a drive with a faulty boot sequence on an Intel processor-based computer.
The Windows floppy disk must have the files like, NTLDR, Ntdectect.com, Boot.ini and the correct device driver for your hard disk. To perform this procedure you need a blank floppy disk and the windows XP CD ROM or an optional Windows XP based Computer.
- You can use the windows XP format utility to format a floppy disk, and to perform this procedure at first you have to insert the particular floppy which you want to use in your floppy disk drive, after that click on the start, run and click on the OK button.
- Now from the I386 folder on the Windows XP installation CD Rom, from Windows XP installation floppy disk, or from the Computer you have to copy the Ntldr and ntdetect.com files, which is running the same version of Windows XP. To perform this process,
- At first click on the start and run button, then type< DriveLetter>:I386 and then click OK. And then right click on the Ntldr file and click on the copy area. And now click on the start, run button and type a:, and then click OK button. Now click the edit menu and then click paste button and finally repeat steps 2b through 2e for the Ntdetect.com file.
- Now you have to create a boot.ini file or copy one from a computer which is running windows XP, after that modify the Boot.ini file to match the computer which one you are trying to access. At first click on the start button and then click run and type notepad and finally click OK. You have to type these following text:
- [boot loader]
- Default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows
- [operating systems]
- Operation system is a value which in depends on the configuration of the Windows XP computer that you are want to access.
- Now click on the file menu. And click save as.
- From the Save in drop down list choose 3 ½ Floppy (A:) and type Boot.ini an the file name text box and finally click save button.
- Now insert the floppy disk into the floppy disk drive and restart windows XP.
If the path pointing files of the system in incorrect, then you can get some error message, like
Because of the following ARC firmware boot configuration problem, the Windows NT couldn’t start.
If the ARC name for HAL and system paths didn’t generate properly, then please check the Windows NT documentation about ARC configuration options and check your hardware reference manuals for additional information. Then boot failed.