Save your computer from being crippled! Viruses and spywares can cripple your computer and degrade its performance. Proper maintenance is really important for an improved protection. To keep your PC protected you need to schedule virus scans, install updates and need to do many other things.This article will shed some light on the precautions you can take to reduce the risk of your computer being infected by a virus:
Tips to protect your computer against viruses
1. Make use of default security settings in Microsoft Office which helps to protect your programs and data from viruses. It is recommended not to change the Office default settings for maximum security.
2. Ensure that security features in the Microsoft® Windows® Security Center are turned on and also, try to keep your computer updated. The simplest way to keep your system secure is by using Windows® Security Center to enable the following:
- Internet firewall
- Antispyware software
- Antivirus software
3. You can also try a subscription to Windows Live OneCare. Windows Live® OneCare is a complete protection and maintenance service which can be subscribed by you. It helps to protect and maintain your computer by providing total security and all-in-one functionality incorporating virus scanning, firewall, antispyware, PC performance tune ups, and file backup and restore capability. Tech support for scanning virus of Microsoft® products can be of great help to the user.
4. Locate whether your computer is really infected with a virus. If your computer is not running properly, this does not mean that your computer has a virus. It is necessary to be aware of the specific symptoms that are caused by particular viruses. Microsoft® Security Antivirus Information site provide you with information and alerts about the latest viruses, their bad effects, and the symptoms they cause.
5.You should check the Microsoft® Security Bulletins regularly. The Microsoft® Security Updates site provides you with an up-to-date list of security issues that affect Microsoft® products. This site provides technical information about security issues that affect specific products. You can also subscribe to the site for free to have security bulletin e-mail notifications for important security updates from Microsoft®.
6. Always download files from authentic sites. Always ensure about the source, you are downloading a file from. When in doubt, don’t download the file. As an extra precaution, you can download file onto a separated disk instead on your computer’s hard disk and, then scan the file running virus scanner.