WAYS TO FIX WINDOWS UPDATE ERROR CODE 0X8007042C
Error code 0x8007042c is a common issue that can crop up when trying to check for Windows updates. This issue is particularly common with Windows 7, 8 and 10. The error can also happen when you are trying to access the Windows firewall settings. The error code is generally accompanied by the message, ‘There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8007042c)’.
If you have an error with the Windows firewall then the error may read, ‘Windows Firewall can’t change some of the settings. Error code 0x8007042c’. This error code can be really annoying especially when you definitely need the updates to happen. Here are some of the ways to fix this issue.
DIY SOLUTIONS FOR ERROR CODE 0X8007042C ON WINDOWS
Solution 1:Use Of Inbuilt Troubleshooter
Let’s first try to fix this error by using Windows troubleshooter. The built-in tool can quickly detect and fix the error. Here is how to go about it.
- Press Windows key and then search for Troubleshooter
- Click on Troubleshooter and then select ‘Settings’ in the below search box
- Click on the option to find and fix problems and then select ‘view all’ option
- Select Windows Update Troubleshooter’ and run it
- Once complete, check if the problem is resolved
- You can also allow Windows to update during the next scheduled time.
Solution 2: Toggle Windows Services
- Press Win + R and then type ‘services.msc’
- Find the Window Update Service from the list
- Right click and then select, ‘Properties’
- Identify the entry that determines the startup type and then select ‘automatic option’
- Select ‘Start’ that’s located in the services status menu
- Click ‘OK’ to accept all changes
- Change startup type to ‘Automatic’ inclusive of cryptographic service, Windows installer, Windows time and the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Run pending updates for your PC and the error should be resolved.
Solution 3: Disable Installed Antivirus
Sometimes the third-party antivirus installed on your computer cause the error code 0x8007042c to occur. Follow these steps to resolve this issue.
- Uninstall any third party antivirus that you have installed on the computer
- Click on Windows key on Windows 7 and search for updates
- Open the updates window and then check for updates
- Install all required updates on the computer, including optional updates
- Restart the computer and check if the error is fixed
Note: if the error happened when upgrading to Windows 10, then try using Windows media Creation tool after disabling Antivirus software.
Solution 4: Malware Removal
A malware or virus infection can also cause the error code to happen. Here is how to scan your computer and remove any malware infection.
- Download Microsoft Security Scanner from the Microsoft website
- Install the software. The software will be located on your desktop with a shortcut name as ‘msert’
- Accept the license agreements
- Select the option for quick scan and then click next. The software will scan and remove any malware from the PC.
- Now turn your firewall on by clicking on Start Menu and typing ‘Firewall’. Open the Windows firewall program and turn it on
- Check if the error is resolved.