Follow these simple steps to set-up your brand new D-Link Wireless Router
For users who are new to a wireless router, it is a device with the same functions as that of a router but apart from these it also includes the functions of a wireless access point. Some of the common features in the latest wireless routers are as follows:
- They consist of LAN ports which work in the same manner as that of network switch.
- They also have WAN ports to connect to Internet networks in the area around them. Many functions will be evaded in case this port isn’t used.
- A wireless antenna is available to connect to other networks from other wireless devices. They use the Wi-Fi standards to do the same.
If you are a Windows user then setting up your wireless router becomes a tedious job and more often we make mistakes in its set-up. While installing wireless routers there are many measures to be taken and various preferences to be set. However D-Link offers excellent set-up for your system and we help you put together your D-Link wireless router.
The basic things you’ll require while setting up your router are:
- Your D-link router
- Internet connection
- Ethernet cables
Steps to set-up your D-Link Wireless Router:
- i. Connect the DSL Modem to one end of the Ethernet cable.
- ii. The other end of your cable should be attached to the back of your D-Link Router into the WAN port.
- iii. Use one more Ethernet cable to connect the router with any of the wired computers via an Ethernet port.
To enter the basic configuration screen of D-Link Router follow these steps:
i.Go into your web browser and type in the following address into the address bar and press enter
When the login screen appears enter “Admin” as the username and do not fill up the password block.
After entering the username click “OK” and the D-Link configuration screen will be visible to you.
Steps to have general security for your Router:
- i. Click on the “Tools” option and you will see “Admin” button. Click on it.
- ii. Under the heading of “Administrator” click on new password, then add a new password, confirm it and hit on “Apply” button to activate it.
- iii. If you won’t be using wireless facilities on your router and don’t want others to misuse it as well then stop the LAN functions on it.
- iv. Go in the “Home” options then select “Wireless” and hit the off button to turn it off.
Steps to facilitate Wireless Encryption Protocol or WEP:
- i. In the configuration screen look for “Home” button and click on “Wireless”
- ii. Select the option for “Open System”
- iii. Next to the “WEP” button select the “Enabled” option.
- iv. The encryption has to be set to “128 bit”
- v. Change the “Key Type” to “ASCII” format and put in a 13 digit code for “key 1” field.
- vi. Note down the password for future reference at a safe location and hit on “Apply”.
Steps to altering the SSID and to sort MAC addresses:
- i. SSID has to be changed for making it more complicated for others to find your network. Select the “Home” button and then the “Wireless” option.
- ii. Change the SSID from default to one with your preference.
- iii. Go the “Advanced” option and then into the “Performance” option. Put a tick in the “Disabled” box and click “Apply”.
- iv. Go into the “Advanced” option again and into “Filters” button.
- v. In the “MAC Filters” and select the option “Only Allow Computers with MAC Address Listed Below to Connect to the Network.”
- vi. Enter the names of computers allowed to access the network including your own and hit “Apply”.