Safe Mode- What does that mean?
Before detailing about the safe mode option, let us know what does that mean. Not only Windows XP but all windows have the options of Safe Mode booting. But every user of PC is not aware of this option which is not normally used by them. This option operates with minimum drivers and windows components which help to solve lots of computer problems. If there is any fault in driver or software, safe mode identifies it by reducing the running function.
Procedure to start the safe mode boot option in Windows XP
After a brief introduction about the safe mode let us know the simple steps to boot windows in safe mode.
* To start the windows XP safe mode, first of all check whether your computer is running something or not. If its on, click start button and then shut down. In simple terms, turn off your computer.
* After few seconds, turn the computer on. As the PC restarts, start pressing F8 key on your keyboard. If a computer is configured for booting in multiple operating systems, then press F8 when the boot menu appears.
* Then Windows Advanced Options menu would appear on screen. Press enter.
* When the boots menu appears again, you will see an option of safe mode in blue color. Select the installation which you want to start, like here our operating system is Windows XP(in case you have dual boot or multiple operating system), select it and press enter.
* The computer now starts in safe mode.
* It will start loading the minimum system files necessary to run Windows XP. The screen will display each file that it will load.
* If you want to make any necessary changes in it, then make it and when you assume that no issues remain that is preventing it to run normally, close all programs and restart your computer normally.
Variations of Windows XP safe mode
In safe mode booting also, there are different variations that can be used according to our requirement.
1) Safe Mode:- As we have already discussed above, this option uses minimum set of services and device drivers(mouse, monitor, base videos, keyboard etc) necessary to start windows XP.
2) Safe Mode with networking:-Apart from the above processes in safe mode, this option also includes those essential services and drivers that allow networking functions to work in Windows XP. This option helps to access the internet or local network evn while troubleshooting in Safe Mode.
3) Safe Mode with Command Prompt option:-Instead of graphical user interface, a command prompt is started in this option. Rest it is exactly same as safe mode option.
4) Last Known good configuration:-The registry information that was saved at the time of last shut down, this option starts your computer with the same saved information.
Points to be noted:
Some things should be known while booting with Safe Mode.
* If while starting safe mode, windows appears on screen, restart your computer and try again.
* When you use the numeric keys on keypad, just ensure that NUM LOCK is off.
* Safe Mode as we know is used to diagnose problems. When you start in safe mode, if the symptom does not reappear, it may have probably caused due to default settings and some drivers. So eliminate the minimum device drivers and default settings.
* If the Windows system files required to start the system are damaged or has corrupted, then this safe mode would not be of help.