Android is a mobile phone operating system developed be Google which is open source and is available for free to manufacturers of hardware and phone carriers who want to use on their devices. Google formed a group of hardware, software and telecommunication companies called Open Handset Alliance with the goal of contributing for Android development. Android is based upon open Linux kernel. It utilizes a custom virtual machine, which optimizes the memory and hardware resources in a mobile environment. It is truly open because it uses the basic functionality of a mobile phone like making a call, message, camera usage and allows the developers to create richer and more cohesive experiences for users. With Android users can pull in information or data on to their personal phone along with their own data. Android does not differentiate phone’s core application and third party application providing a broad spectrum of applications and services. Thus android is a fast and easy platform for development of applications providing the developers with high productivity and deep insight into their application.
Android is becoming one of the most popular cell phone platforms. It has many customizable features, the wallpaper being one of the features that can be personalized. There are certain things which you need to take care of before creating the wallpaper.
1. The first thing you should know is the size of the mobile screen keeping in mind the scrolling to the two sides. Different devices require different sizes for their Android wallpaper. For example Android phones like Nexus one require 960×800, Droid requires 960×854,
G1, Magic, Hero, myTouch require 640×480.
2. With the help of image editing applications like Photoshop or GIMP, you can create Android wallpaper of desired dimensions. Select a picture of your choice and open it in the image editor. Set the crop tool to desired dimensions aspect ratio and select the portion of the picture you want to see.
3. Be sure to resize the file and save because when you use aspect ratio the actual pixel size of the file could increase by four times than is needs to be.
4. Save the file of the Android wallpaper that you are creating to the hard drive since it might be easiest to create a directory with different sized Android wallpapers.
5. Once the file is saved it can be copied to the Android phone. Now connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable. Mount the SD card and copy all the wallpapers to it. After this disconnect the Android phone from the computer and use the gallery tool in the phone to set the new files as the device’s wallpaper.
Also there is a suggestion for selecting pictures for wallpapers. It is that you should always choose simple files which work best as wallpaper because of the scrolling, don’t select family photos as they tend to get chopped. File formats like PNG, JPG, and JPEG work well for this.