If you want your computer to perform properly, then you will have to make sure that the hard drive of your computer is not corrupted from a certain virus. Also, you need to check if your hard drive suffered from any software-related disk failure. When a virus is detected, or viruses, in worst case scenarios, then you have to completely erase that corrupted sector of the hard drive.
You can easily erase your hard drive with the use of free software, or what is more commonly referred to today as freeware. These different kinds of freeware actually come with the operating system of your computer. With the many types of freeware that are present today, you will not need any set of special kills or expertise in the field of computer technology in order to erase a hard drive. What you need to do is to follow a certain set of guidelines required by the freeware programs.
Erasing your Mac’s hard drive can be done with a free disk utility program. In order to so this, please follow these steps:
- You need to click Mac’s hard drive icon and find the folder marked Applications. You can find this folder in the window that opens after clicking the icon. When you finally find the folder, scroll down within it, until you find the folder labeled Utilities.
- Upon finding the Utilities folder, scroll down within it until you find the Disk Utility program. To launch this program, you just have to double click on the program’s icon.
- The icon of the hard drive which needs to be erased can be found on the left side of the main screen of the program. Just click on that icon and click the tab labeled Erase, which is located at the top part of the main screen of the Disk Utility program.
- Click the Mac OS Extended detail when the drop down menu of the Format is displayed right in the middle of the screen. Carefully select the hard drive that you want to erase and give it the same name that it has when the Name column under the Format tab is checked. Afterwards, immediately click on the button labeled Erase, which is found at the lower corner of the screen, to the left. A confirmation window will pop out, and you just have to confirm your operations by clicking on the Erase button.
- When everything has been accomplished, simply quit the program if you can observe that the progress bar reflects that the hard drive is erased completely.
You can also erase your corrupted hard drive on your personal computer with the use of free block eraser programs.
- The first step, this time around, is to find a free hard drive block eraser program on the Internet and simply download it to your desktop. When you have finally downloaded the program, simply double click on it and just follow the guidelines that are necessary for properly installing the program to your desktop’s main hard drive. When you are done installing, simply restart your computer.
- Launching the Block Eraser program is also not difficult at all. In fact, the only thing you have to do in order to get it functioning is to double click on its icon. Click the DVD drive that is available to your system, from the list that is presented to you in the drop down menu entitled Drives. You can access this drop down menu on the main screen of the Block Eraser program.
- Click to Eject the DVD drive’s disc tray and put in a blank CD that is recordable. Of course, you have to make sure that you get to close the tray before anything else.
- Click Bootable Disc from the assortment of choices that is presented to you in yet another drop down menu labeled Type on the program’s main screen. Click CD from the list that you can access after locating the drop down menu entitled Disc.
- Simply click the Install button. It will then start to install, and all you have to do is wait. After you see the confirmation window stating that the entire installation program is completed, simply click the Quit button in order to fully exit the program.
- In order to have everything running smoothly once again, you have to restart you personal computer and wait for the program’s menu to show up on the display screen.
- Click the icon of the hard drive that you want erased from the list that is shown to you after you gain access to the drop down menu of Drive. Simply click Erase on the new window that pops up and press Enter afterwards. Click Erase on the confirmation window as well and press Enter one more time.
- When everything is done, easily click Quit on the screen that shows up when the hard drive has finally been fully erased. Afterwards, you need to click Enter.
- The last step will be to click Eject so that you can retrieve your CD from the DVD’s disc tray and close the tray afterwards.