Have you ever experienced restarting your computer for the hundredth time because it works so slowly? Have you tried getting so irritable waiting for the computer to load? If yes, then you are probably experiencing hard drive overload. Overload basically means your hard disk has too much files in it that it takes longer than usual to load and work. This could mean that the hard disk is busy maintaining all of the stored files therefore it takes longer time before working properly. Why do you even have to wait hours before that computer finally loads when you can do easy ways to make that PC work and load faster? Here are some easy and effective ways to ‘de-clutter’ your hard disk in no time.
First of all, the most important thing to remember why your computer loads and works slowly is because there are too many files in it. There are some files which may not be necessary or important anymore to be in your hard disk. There are even some files that you have no idea how it landed on your disk.
- So the best way to get rid of those unnecessary files is to delete them, completely. You can use the Disk Cleanup to sort important files from unnecessary files. The Disk Cleanup will show you which files are safe to delete. Once you’ve decided on what files to delete, the Disk Cleanup will automatically do the work for you.
- Another way to free up some memory space on your computer is to uninstall programs which you haven’t used for a long time. Examples of these installed programs are games you install or download from the internet which can take up a huge amount of memory space from your hard disk.
- You can start deleting these programs by going to the Control Panel (if you’re a Windows user) and clicking the ‘Add/Remove Programs’ button. From there, you can choose which programs to uninstall to easily remove the programs and its components hence, saving memory space for your hard disk.
- There are other simpler ways to save space on your computer. One of which is to delete items from your start up menu. These items are basically what you see when you click the Start button on your desktop. The Startup menu may contain irrelevant items that add to workload whenever the Windows start.
- Another simple way is to just delete unnecessary or unused programs or files from the desktop. But, deleting the files don’t end there, you have to make sure that deleting the files will go as far as deleting them from the Recycle Bin as well. Even if you have deleted files from your desktop or Startup menu, they will stay in the Recycle Bin and will continue to take some space from your computer.
- So, you have to remember to constantly empty your Recycle Bin. Then, there’s the easiest way to constantly remove unwanted files which is to reboot your computer once in awhile. Rebooting helps the memory of your computer to actually free its space after deleting every unimportant file from the PC.
- If there is not still enough memory space on your hard disk, you might want to try controlling the registry of your computer. Mainly, the registry of your computer is responsible for those programs and applications which automatically load during the startup of Windows.
These programs may include:
- Pop up from different programs,
- Prompts from your anti-virus,
- Pop-up windows from your various plug-ins.
However, controlling your computer’s registry may cause problems if it is not done properly. It is best to have your computer technician work on this job.
So you have to remember that your computer must be regularly checked for hard disk overload, and must be maintained by cleaning up your hard disk to effectively free and save computer space.
If after all these easy ways of freeing up memory space on your computer still don’t work, then maybe you have that many files to store and so little memory to store them with. And I guess you just have to buy more hard disk for your computer to store those countless files!