phpMyAdmin is an open source tool inscribed in PHP, planned to handle the organization of MySQL over the World Wide Web. It is enabled to carry out multiple activities such as generating, altering or erasing databases, tables, fields or/and rows; implementing SQL statements; or administering users and permissions.
Steps to install phpMyAdmin
After knowing brief details about php, we now present to our readers the steps to be followed for installing the same.
If one wants to install phpMyAdmin to their computer, they can do so by following the procedure mentioned below:
- The primary step is to open the site www.phpMyAdmin.com. Here you have to download phpMyAdmin-x.y.z.zip file, and it is to be stored on the desktop itself.
- You now have to open this saved file, by clicking twice on its icon. All the archive files have to be hauled out to be stored in the directory as “phpmyadmin”. All the hauled out files should only be stored in this directory, nowhere else. Even if you commit a mistake and store it elsewhere like in “My Computer”, you should cut the file from that section and then rightly place it in this directory. Storing these files in this directory is vital for correct installation.
- Open “http://localhost/phpmyadmin/index.php by typing the same in the browser.
- The phpMyAdmin login page should appear. This page will be displayed with some errors in it. In the following steps we will rectify these errors.
- To rectify these errors open the file “config.inc.php”. This is located in “phpmyadmin.” Open this file in Notepad. Creation of this file is important so even if you don’t have it already, create it! Sometimes this file gives an impression of being corrupted, while opening in Notepad. If this problem is faced by you, then open the file in Wordpad. Once you have opened it properly in Wordpad, save it on your computer. Now reopen the same file in Notepad. It should now open properly.
- Once this file opens rewrite; cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘auth_type’] = ‘config’; as $cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘auth_type’] = ‘cookie’;.
- After editing the above mentioned line, make further changes in following line: $cfg [‘blowfish_secret’] = ”; Inside ”. Here, the word inside has to replaced by any word of your choice.
- Open this file in Notepad and save it to your computer.
- Copy libmcrypt.dll located in system32 directory in c drive. Add extras in “extension=php_mcrypt.dll” in php.ini. Taking it further add c:php along with c:phpext into the Windows search path.
- After the above procedure is successfully completed, reboot Windows.
- In the beginning we had opened the phpMyAdmin login page with errors. Now at this stage that page should again be opened to view it without any errors. To open this page you should have “root” as username and password should be the same root password used while installation of MySQL.
- Once both the username and password are entered, clicking on Enter will login you to the main page of phpMyAdmin.
- If this page opens successfully without any errors, this should be taken as an indication of correct installation of phpMyAdmin to your computer.