What is Apache?
Apache Web Server, which is commonly known as Apache, has become popular for playing a key role in the growth of the World Wide Web. By 2009, it had attained the place as the number one web server which is capable of surpassing great milestones. Netscape Communications Corporation had been thought of as a non substitutable web server but Apache has proved to be a viable alternative to this, which is currently called Sun Java System. Apache is most commonly used on a UNIX operating system but most of us do not have flexibility with a UNIX operating system and would like to install it on Windows PC. Let us understand how we can install this on a Windows PC.
Steps to Install:
Installing any software would definitely need a step by step demo which are as follows:
- Open the Apache web site http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi and download the file apache_2.2.11-win32-x86-no_ssl.
- Save this MSI installer on the desktop on your Windows PC.
- Double click on the MSI installer file which is saved to the desktop.
- Click on the “Next” button on the first window that pops up when you double click the MSI installer file.
- Click on the radio button to accept the terms of license agreement document.
- After selecting the radio button click “Next” on the second screen.
- On the third screen, click “Next” as well.
- Fill the necessary information such as “Local Host” for “Network Domain” and “Server Name” and “: give your most widely used email address.
for “Administrator’s Email Address”.
- Select the radio button “ for all users, on port 80, as a service – recommended “
- After the radio button is selected click on “Next”
- On the next screen select “Custom” radio button and to move on to the next screen, click on “Next”.
- When you reach the next window highlight “ Apache HTTP Server” and then click on the button “Change”.
- Ensure that you install the scripts and packages into the folder with name “C:\Server\Apache2\”. Here it is assumed that C drive is your most widely or mainly used hard drive. In the “Folder Name” text box type in “C:\Server\Apache2\”. The backslash is very important while typing the name.
- Once you enter the name of the path click “Ok” and then click on the “Next” button.
- You would now get to the window “Ready to Install the Program”. On this screen click on “Install” to initialize the installation.
Once you click on Install and the software installation is done, you will get a final window to indicate that the installation is successful. Click on the finish button to complete the process.
One simple step to check if the software is installed is to open the favorite browser and type in “http://localhost/” and then you will see the words “it Works!” or something similar to indicate that you are 100% successful.