What is a Netbook?
Netbook is a small Laptop of screen size not more than 10 inches diagonally. They are best suited for checking emails and browsing the web based applications. They are small in size and have less computing power if compared with Laptops. It is an excellent choice for people who need an all time companion device for surfing the internet.
Installation can be done in the following recommended ways
1. Purchase and download the installation file from Microsoft Store
2. Purchase and download the ISO file from Microsoft Store and save it on the USB flash drive
3. Through an external DVD
Prerequisites for installation
You should always check if your computer will support the new Windows 7 or not. To do so you can download and run the Microsoft’s Upgrade Advisor from the following link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=160680. This program lets you know the issues with your computer hardware and whether it would be able to support Windows 7 and its architecture. If not running the upgrade advisor then make sure that you at least have the following:
- A netbook (Minimum 1GB of RAM, 8GB storage space)
- A 4GB or larger USB drive
- A Windows 7 RC Image(If installing from ISO)
- A Windows XP/Vista PC or a Mac to prepare the flash drive(is installing from ISO)
- Screen resolution of your Netbook should be more than 800×600
Installation through Installation File
If installing from the installation file just double click on the installer file and follow the instructions. To download and install the file from Microsoft Store follow the following steps:
1. Visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=160999 and purchase your copy
2. Click “Additional Download Options” drop down list and select 32 bit or 64 bit on the “Order Receipt” webpage
3. Click download after selecting the correct version
4. Once downloaded you can run the file directly from the Download Manager or if you wish to install later then browse to the folder and double click on the installer file.
Installation Using USB Flash Drive
1. Download the ISO image from Microsoft Store and save it on a USB drive larger than 4 GB
2. It is recommended that you use the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool as after copying the file on USB it also makes it bootable
To download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool go to the following link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=169407
3. This USB drive can then be used to Boot your netbook for installation
4. For initiating the installation first turn off your netbook and then insert the USB drive
5. Start the netbook and press any key when prompted on the screen
6. Select the language and other preferences and click follow the further instruction as they appear for installing Windows 7
Installation Using External DVD Drive
Netbooks don’t have inbuilt DVD drive so you have to connect an external drive to it for installation. After connecting the drive if you have Windows 7 Installation disk then just insert the disk and start the installation just like installation on any computer. If you downloaded the ISO image then copy it on the DVD using Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool which will make the DVD bootabe. To initiate the installation:
1. Turn off the Netbook and connect the External Drive
2. Turn ON the netbook and press any key to boot from disk and the installation will start.
3. Select the language and other preferences and click follow the further instruction as they appear for installing Windows 7