Soulseek is a peer to peer (P2P) file sharing network and application. It is mostly used to exchange music, although the users are able to share a variety of other files. Its idea was implemented by Nir Arbel, a former Napster programmer. As peer to peer file sharing program, the accessible content is determined by the users of the Soulseek client.
There are certain tips and tricks through which one can reduce the number of errors and increase the number of search results. However, we can change the options to configure a Soulseek client for optimized music downloading, to do this simply follow the instructions given below:
- If you have not installed Soulseek, goto the website by searching the name of “soulseek” on any search engine such as google, msn etc., download the program and install the program.
- Open the Soulseek application, Goto Options menu and therein select General Options.
- Now a dialog box appears which asks for the “listening port”, while selecting a random port, one can change the port upon their wish.
- Now click on the “Test Firewall and router settings”.
- A webpage will appeal showing “Your router and Soulseek client is configured correctly”, which means the settings are correctly established.
The performance of the application while downloading the files purely depends upon the speed of the internet connection and the way you are using it. It is recommended that if you are using a router in place of a modem then make sure the input is on the “Ethernet Port” of the computer system. If it is not so or if you are using two or more computers on the network and want to use soulseek on all the computers make sure the IP Address of the computer on which the Soulseek client is installed is a Static IP Address and the listening port on every computer is different from each other.
Now open up the router administration control panel and assign the value of the listening port to be forwarded to the IP Address of the computer which has to receive the router.
Now restart the Soulseek client after setting up the values accordingly.
If you are using Soulseek on more than one computer, you will have to assign a different listening port for each computer. If your computer is behind a firewall, than there is proper permission for the listening port of the computer which is assigned the Soulseek priviledge.
If you are connected to the switch and all the other computers along with the internet connection are directly connected to the switch, please do not options on your router administration panel.
Soulseek is peer to peer software and thus you should understand the risk of sharing your hard disk contents on the internet. If you are sharing any unauthorized or copyrighted material on the peer2peer software, you could land in dire trouble.
While using soulseek or any other peer2peer software you should also understand that you are using a high bandwidth internet connection because of the demand by such applications.