Lost disk space of the computers has been a tricky problem and leaves the user of Windows Vista wondering where the space is gone. It has been a really surprising issue for the users to see pop up message of running at very low disk space despite having sufficiently spacious HDD space and a few most general programs.
As said, a continuous pop up message does not let your mind work at peace. There remains a constant fear in the mind of losing the data you are currently storing. Nobody finds it a pleasing situation while being aware of a plenty of space in the Hard Disk Drive in GBs. The other vital problem is the slowdown of the machine, which is a terribly disgusting. The Reasons:
- Without a blink, anyone will agree the space of over 6GB occupied by Windows vista is comparably big.
- The second reason, though immensely beneficial for backup purposes, becomes a big wastage of space. It is the automatic or default feature of Windows Vista to create a copy of documents serving as a very solid backup in allocated space of 15%. As usual, when the allotted space falls short for new copies by default, older copies get deleted to create space. Users keep wondering where the space is eaten up.
- The other reasons like improper file storage and the real different between quote space and the actual space on the HDD, etc. are common ones and do not relate to Window Vista alone.
Recovery of lost space
In normal use, a lot of unused junk files are created and left ignored by the users. Check your machine; you will see many files of this type. Really speaking, you won’t be sure whether you will at all need them at all. One of the such is free downloads, which often people get for certain specific purposes and let them lay dumped in the computer. So, better be happy with the default copies and initiating salvaging operation to recover space by cleaning actions like:
- Deleting unused files and folders. Reach the ‘Accessories’ from all programs. Under the ‘Accessories’, you will get ‘System Tools’ that opens up several tools including ‘Disk Clean Up’. Now you can find all the files and folders saved in different drives. You got to choose what you want to remove by opting for cleanup action. The default feature will let you know how much space you are likely to salvage by cleaning a particular document of folder. After you decide, click OK.
- Defragmentation and rearrangement of files properly create space in the disk. From the ‘System Tools’, you can get access to ‘Disk Defragmenter’. To activate the defragmenter, click on it to let it do the job by itself.
- Remove unnecessary programs. For this, open the ‘Control Panel’ and uninstall those you do not need or using.
You will see the machine is running at a comfortable speed and there is the absence of bothering ‘Low Disk Space’ message.