Now days, where ever you go, you are surrounded by wireless routers. From shopping malls to offices, every place is equipped with routers, so that you get the maximum connectivity. You may connect to that Wireless Network or not is different deal but you are in its reach almost all the times. Wireless Networks were initially used only by big telecom companies. All this has happened because of low cost and low end Wireless Routers which were not in reach of the common man earlier. Now you can get one Wireless router for yourself in just few dollars and can setup your personal Wireless Network. Setting up a Wireless Network solves many purposes. It helps you to come out of the web of jumbled Ethernet cables and be a Wi-Fi. It helps you in connecting all your home computers and share data and resources between them. It helps you in sharing the other costly resources like the Internet Connection, Printers, and Scanners among all the computers you have. In this post I will let you know the intricacies of setting up a Wireless Network in the simplest and easiest manner.
Get the Hardware:
All you need is a Wireless Router and Wireless Cards for your computers and if you only have Laptops then you don’t even need the Wireless Cards as all the Laptops come equipped with them.
Decide of a place in your house which is somewhat at the centre and make it the place for installing the Wireless Router. This will help your Wireless devices to communicate properly with the router without any signal loss or interference. Router installation just requires a power source to power the router and a LAN cable to setup the Network for the first time.
- Connect the Router with any of your Laptop using a LAN cable. Open the command prompt and type IPCONFIG. Press Enter and note down the Default Gateway’s IP address.
- Open your internet browser and type the Default Gateway’s IP address in the address bar and press Enter. This will take you to the Login Page of the Router where you need to enter the default Username and the Password provided by the manufacturer.
- After entering the Router Console, go into the Wireless Section of it.
- First of all give your network a name (SSID). This will help the computers to identify your network while attempting to connect.
- Go into the Wireless Security section now and secure your network by assigning a Passkey to it. This helps in not allowing the unauthorized computers to connect to your network otherwise anybody who comes in your routers vicinity would easily be able to use your internet connection without your knowledge.
- Once done close the Routers console and disconnect the LAN cable.
- Open your Wireless Manager and scan for Available Networks.
- Your Wireless Networks Name (SSID) will also be listed in it, so just select it and click on connect.
- When asked enter the Passkey to authenticate your computer over the network.
- Save this network in your trusted networks list so that you are not prompted for the password again.
- Repeat steps 7 to 10 on all the Laptops and Computers you have in your house.
- And that would be all. Now you can move with your Laptop in your house or in your lawn without losing the connectivity. Now you have a Wireless Network of your own.