Speed up your system through various simple ways
The performance of every system tends to degrade with the passage in time, if it is not properly maintained. The windows XP based system is no exception from it. Even its performance degrades with the passage of time. But this can be fended off if it is been taken proper care of. This would not only save money but also another precious thing called Time.
There are various ways in which a user can speed up his system. Some simple ways include regularly checking up the system for various kinds of Spyware and viruses which are generally the root cause for the slowdown that most of the users experience worldwide. The user should regularly update the anti-spyware program, and the virus definition files. There are other ways too like
- Using a browser that have options of deleting the history of the surfed net which help in increasing the internet speed and also less viable to virus attacks.
- Defragmenting your Hard disk. This process puts up related files close to each other so that considerable amount of free space can be accumulated on the hard disk. To Defragment a disk go to RUN type “dfrg.msc” and then start the defragment process.
- One can also speed up the system using the disk cleanup utility. This utility compresses the files and creates disk space. We can use it by typing “cleanmgr.exe” in RUN.
- The user can also remove unwanted software and programs that occupy a lot of physical memory. This can be done through Control Panel and going to Add/Remove program option and removing the unwanted programs or software.
- When the system boots it also starts a few applications along with it. These applications occupy considerable resources of your system and so they should be blocked from auto starting using the “msconfig” command in RUN. Go to Startup options and block those applications which are not needed every time the system boots itself. There are various software applications which can be used to do the same thing. The System can also be helped by booting faster by changing the time out value in “BOOT.INI” option in “msconfig”.
The system graphics are another factor that affects the system speed. The graphics can be minimized so that the processing time of the system gets better.
The system performance can also be increased by ending many unused process that run in the background of the system. This can be done by clicking on the “process tab” which can be found in the Windows Task Manager.
The above mentioned ways are the simplest of the ways by which a user can speed up his system. But while doing so there are various things that should be kept in mind. All the above mentioned process can cause your system some critical problems if not executed properly. The user should take some precautions before performing the mentioned ways. The Basic step is to create a backup of important data that are stored in the system. User must be careful enough not to stop any process that is a system requirement as this may stop the system from booting and cause many problems.
Thus, one can say the speeding up a system is an easy task if and only if performed with proper precautions.