Which Windows 7 disk should I Purchase
Windows 7 can be installed on any computer which fulfils the minimum requirements but it cannot upgrade all of your previous operating systems. If you have operating systems like Windows 98, Windows 2000, or Windows 95 then you need to purchase the full installation disk (full version) of Windows 7. If you have Windows XP or Windows Vista then purchasing an upgrade disk of Windows 7 would do the needful. Installation of Windows 7 on a XP computer can be done using an upgrade disk but the installation would be a clean installation and not an upgrade install. Upgrade installation of Windows 7 is only possible if you have Windows Vista installed on your computer.
Which edition of Windows 7 can I Upgrade to?
If you have Windows Vista Home basic then you can upgrade it to Windows 7 Home premium and Windows 7 Ultimate. Similarly Windows Vista Home Premium can be upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate, Windows Vista Business can be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate and Windows Vista Ultimate can be only be upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. Also please remember that you cannot upgrade your existing 32 bit operating system to a new 64 bit version of Windows 7. For this to get happen you would need a complete installation.
Minimum requirements for Windows 7
For upgrading to Windows 7 it is recommended that you run the upgrade advisor and check if your Software or Hardware will be compatible with Windows 7 or not. However for installing Windows 7 the following requirements are must:
- 1GHz or faster processor
- 1 GB of RAM for 32 Bit Windows 7 and 2GB for 64 Bit version
- 16 GB hard disk space for 32 Bit and 20 GB space for 64 Bit version
- DirectX 9 compatible graphics card which should have WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Before you Upgrade
Before you start the upgrade process please make sure that the Windows Vista which you already have is properly updated. You should have SP1 or SP2 installed on it. If possible keep your computer connected to the internet so that if any crucial component is required during installation it can be downloaded. Turn OFF the Antivirus program which you have and is possible do run an antivirus scan before upgrading. This is an optional step but should be performed before any upgrade process and not only Windows 7 upgrade. If you have been using any fingerprint reader for logging on to you Windows Vista computer then please make sure that you know the correct password as well. During installation you will be asked for typing the password manually and not by fingerprints.
The Upgrade Process
1. Start Windows Vista and browse to the installation file of Windows 7. The installation file can be an executable file on your hard drive (if you have downloaded Windows 7) or it can be Setup.exe in the root of your installation DVD.
2. On executing the installer you will get the “Install Windows” window and you need to click on “Install Now”
3. As mentioned above regarding the important components; if you want to download these components during installation then please check “Get Important updates for Installation” option
4. Please read through the license agreement and then click on “I Accept the License terms”
5. Select “Upgrade” in the installation type window
6. Continue with the installation wizard which will further be like any other operating systems installation.