Before it is discussed how to use the backup function, you should know what all should be included in the backup. All data including registry, files under Windows File Protection, boot files should be backed up. Any error by the user can corrupt the data available. So to restore that data, you need to know how you can use backup utility function in Windows XP Home Edition.
Where to take Backup:
You can copy the backup data in your hard drive and archive it to other hard drive or in a DVD or in a CD or disk or some other computer. In that case, even if your hard disk is damaged, you have the archived copy.
Installation of Back up:
Windows XP Home Edition does not have the backup utility as its default settings. There is no icon of back up in it but it is there in Windows XP Home Edition. For using it, you have to manually install it.
Below mentioned are the steps to install the Backup Utility:
- First of all, you have to insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive of the computer.
- Then you have to locate the CDDrive:\ValueAdd\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder on the CD.
- To start the wizard that installs Backup, double click the Ntbackup.msi file.
- Click Finish when it reflects the “Back up and Restore Wizard”.
- Now finally you can remove the CD.
Procedure to start Backup:
This section would discuss the backup procedure by using the “Back up and Restore Wizard.”
- You have to log on as an administrator on Windows XP Home Edition. You have to then click the Start button. From the menu option, you have to select ‘Run’ and then type “ntbackup.exe” in the Open box. Press Enter.
- In the ‘Backup and Restore Wizard’ click the “Next” button.
- Select the option” Backup Files and Settings” and then again click “Next”.
- A window with a title of “What to Backup” would appear. In that choose what you decide to backup.
-In case, you choose “My documents and settings,” “Everyone’s documents and settings” or “All information on this computer,” then click the “Next” button.
-You will see an option on screen saying “Choose a place to save your backup”. Click the browse button under it and type the name of your file in the area to the right of file name.
-Then save it.
- You can also choose “Let me choose what to Backup”, otherwise and then click the “Next” button.
- Until you see the file or folder to back up in the right pane, keep clicking the “+” beside the folders and folders in the “Items to back up” pane.
- Then click “Next”.
- Lastly, click “Finish” Button.
Now if you have to take back up manually, the procedure is slightly different. The steps for it are as follows:
- First of all, click Start, then Programs and then click Accessories after which System Tools, and then Backup.
- Select Advanced Mode. Then you click the Backup tab.
- Then you select “on the Job” menu and click ‘New’ on it.
- Then select the check boxes of files and folders for which you want backup.
- After this, select the check box System State which is located under My Computer.
- Then select the Backup destination which you want to use from the destination list.
- To open the Backup Job Information dialog box, press Start Backup.
- You would see If the media already contains backups. If you want to append the backup file to previous Backup files, click Append this backup to the media and if you want to overwrite it and then click Replace the data on the media with this backup.
- You have to click Advanced and then select the check box with the option”Verify data after backup”.
- The types of back up you want, click it in the “Back Type” box and for its description, and click under “Description”.
- Enter OK and then click “Start Backup”
- When back up completes, click “Close”.