Learning the procedure to use backup utility for restoring all your backup files and important folders is one extremely essential process, you should be familiar to. However, in the Windows XP Home Edition, the Backup Utility system is not included in the default installation set up by Windows XP. Hence, before you get familiar to the steps involved in using the Backup Utility, you need to install it in your system.
Installing the Backup Utility
Backup Utility service is usually included in the Windows XP Home Edition CD. Here is how you install it:
- Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD or DVD drive of your computer.
- Click onto Exit.
- Now locate the location of the folder: CDDrive:\ValueAdd\Msft\Ntbackup in the CD.
- Select Ntbackup.msi by double-clicking on it. This will install the Backup Utility system in your computer.
- When the installation finishes, Click onto Finish.
- Simply take off your CD.
Taking back up of your files and folders
Start using your Backup Utility
- Click onto the Start button and then select Run.
- In the Open box, type ntbackup.exe and then press OK.
Select all the items you want to take the back up for and the backup file location
- Select on the Advanced Mode. * If the Backup and Restore Wizard automatically starts, this means that the utility has already started in the wizard mode. Click on the check box with Always Start In Wizard Mode, in order to clear the option.
- Now click on the Backup button.
- Select Job menu and then click on New.
- Now click onto the check boxes located just near the drives. In case if you select certain files and folders, then simply click and expand the drives in which the files are located. Now select all the check boxes for the particular files and other folders for which you intend to take the back up.
- Select the check box named System State in the navigation pane located just below My Computer.
- Here, if your Backup Destination is made available to you, simply click onto the backup destination where you wish to store your backup. * For the selected File, type the entire path and also file name that you wish to store into the File Name Box And Backup Media box.
Start taking Backup
- Click on to Start Backup and then open Backup Job Information box.
- Now, under the If The Media Already Contains Backups option, take either of the steps mentioned below.
- If you wish to attach these files with the previously stored backup files, then click on Append This Backup To The Media. This will allow you to store all your backup data together.
- If you wish to overwrite the previous backup, then select, Replace the data on the media with this backup. This option will help you to save only the current data and erase the previous records.
- Now Click on Advanced.
- Click on Verify Data After Backup.
- Now click on the type of backup you wish to create. Click the backup type and its description. Select any of the following:
- Again click on OK and then on Start Backup. A dialog box named Backup Progress is then displayed. This will start your backup.
- Click on Close and then on Exit.
- Exit Backup Utility