Ever had trouble with your Windows PC? From boot sector troubles to virus removal solutions, the UBCD4Win may just be the perfect troubleshooting tool for you. UBCD4Win, or Ultimate Boot CD for Windows in longhand, is a handy bootable Windows recovery CD developed in 2004. It makes use of the Bart’s pre-installed environment to create a slim Windows XP system that boots from USB or CD. Besides the lightweight XP in a stick (or CD), it also comes preinstalled with a range of troubleshooting tools and programs to diagnose computer problems, repair errors, backup data, remove viruses, and restore your system.
As with all bootable Windows disks, you need to have an actual Windows XP installer in hand to use UBCD4Win. Once you do, this tool is pretty straightforward to use. You just download the package from the site www.ubcd4win.com, run the program, enter where you saved you XP installation files, update the program plugins, build the disk, and then burn it. Detailed instructions to make and use the CD as well as an up-to-date support and forum for additional questions are available on the site. In addition, the package comes with a bootable USB version of the UBCD4Win. Just run UBUSB.exe after you have built the disk, and you’re good to go.
The latest release, UBCD4Win ver. 3.50, comes with a total of 137 programs that are mostly freeware. Here’s a list of all the programs that are available with this package:
- Antivirus and Anti-Spyware: A-Squared Free 126.96.36.199, Autorun Eater, Avira AntiVir 188.8.131.526, Avast! Tool, CWShredder, EzPCFix, HiJackThis, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, MalwareBytes AntiMalware, McAfee Stinger 10.0.1.602, Rootkitty, Spybot S&D , Super AntiSpyware 4.21.1004, Vipre Antivirus, WinSock Fix
- Applications: Firefox 3.0.6, IrfanView image viewer, NotePad++ 5.1.4, Opera 9.64.10487, FoxIt PDF Reader 3.0.2009.1506, nPOPuk 2.11, XPSetupLauncher
- CD Burning: DeepBurner, DVD Ram, ExpressBurn 4.15, ImgBurn 2.4.2, SmallCD
- Cleanup Tools: ATF Cleaner, AVG Remover, ComboFix, Norton Removal Tool, SDFix
- Disk Backup/Cloning: CopyWipe, Disk Copy, DskImage 1.45, DriveImage XML 2.02, ImgMaker, RawCopy, SelfImage
- Disk Defragmentation Tools: AusLogic Defrag 184.108.40.2065, Defraggler 220.127.116.11, Dirms
- Disk Diagnostic Tools: Bart’s Stiff Test 5, chkdsk, DskChkup, Disk Check, HDTune, WinDLG
- Disk Partition Tools: Boot Build, Easeus Partition Master HE 3.0.2, MbrFix, MBRWiz, TestDisk 6.11
- Disk Security Tools: Ccleaner, Drive Erase, Disk Wipe, Eraser 5.86a, Index.dat Suite, TrueCrypt 18.104.22.168
- File Compression: IZArc, 7-Zip 4.65
- File Explorers: a43, Agent Ransack, FreeCommander 2008.06c, IDSuite 2.10.1, Space Monger, Tiny Hexer, WinDir Stat, xplorer 2 Lite 1.71.4
- File Recovery Apps: DBXtract, Disk Investigator, Fab’s AutoBackup, File Recovery, Floppy Repair, File Undelete, Handy Recovery, Recovery Manager, Recuva, Restoration, UnChk, Unstoppable Copier 3.56, Swiss Knife, Unstop Copier
- Games: Arcade!, MS Games, Same Game
- Linux Tools: Explore2fs, R-Linux 4.2
- Multiboot Tools: DBAN 2.0, MemTest86+ 3.5, Vista Recovery Console
- Network Tools: CrossLoop, FileZilla 22.214.171.124, IP Sniffer 126.96.36.199, IPScan, Karen’s LAN Monitor, NetCat, NetStumbler, Network Config Tool, Bart’s NIC Speed, nwdskpe, Putty, Real VNC Server, Quick N’ Easy FTP Server, Tight VNC Viewer, ULTRAVNC, VNC Neighborhood
- Password Tools: cmos, PasswordPro 2.5, Sala Password Renew
- Registry Tools: Erunt, Fix HDC, RegVrws, RegCleaner, RegResWiz, RegShot, ServicesPE, Windows Registry Analyzer
- System Information and Diagnostic Tools: CPU Bench, CPUz 1.5.0, Dead Pixel Tester 2.5.0, DiskCheckup, Double Driver, Driver Wizard, GPU-z 0.3.2, HijackThis 2.0.2, HwPnP 1.0.24, KeyFinder 188.8.131.52, MemTest 3.7, Nero InfoTool 5.3.3, Prime95 184.108.40.206, Quick Bench, RunScanner 220.127.116.11, SIW 2009.2.24, SpeedFan 18.104.22.168, StraightMark, SysInfo 2008.09.08, UnixUtils, Unknown Devices, WinAudit, WinCPUID, WUL 1.23
- Commercial Applications (requires license key from user): Easeus Partition Master Pro MultiBoot, Norton Ghost, Kaspersky Antivirus, Kaspersky Internet Security.