How to Fix Error Code 0X80070020
Error 0x80070020 is a common Windows error that often occurs when you are running regular updates or upgrades on your system. If you are getting this error message, then there would be more than one reason for it. Here are some of the possible reasons why you are getting the error 0x80070020.
Causes for error 0X80070020
One of the most common areas where this issue can occur is when you download or install any update. Your computer may slow down or hang completely. This can be due to any of the following issues mentioned below:
- Some virus or malware interrupting the installation of updates
- Antivirus settings disrupting the successful installation of updates
- Low system memory
- Bad sectors on the hard disk
- Uninstalled some pending updates
Ways tofix error 0X80070020
Solution 1: Run Antivirus or Malware Program
A virus or malware infection is one of the leading causes for the error 0x80070020. Run the installed antivirus or malware program to address any virus or malware.
Now restart your computer and then check if the error persists.
Solution 2: Disable Antivirus/Malware Program
Sometimes it is the installed antivirus or malware program that can be the primary cause for this error. The error occurs when the update is stopped from installing, taking it as a potential virus or malicious program.
Try to disable the antivirus or malware and then restart the computer and check if the issue is fixed. You can enable the antivirus once more after resolving the error.
Solution 3: Check to Install Pending Updates
Download the updates that you have not installed and double check if there are any pending updates that require your attention.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app
- Go to ‘Updates and Security’
- Click, ‘Check for updates’
- Install all pending updates
- Restart computer and continue working as earlier.
Solution 4: Run System File Checker (SFC)
SFC is a built-in tool that helps repair any corrupt system files that can cause the error 0x80070020.
- Right click on ‘Start’ and then choose ‘Command Prompt’. You must have administrative rights to do this.
- Type, ‘sfc /scannow’. Make sure you leave a single space between SFC and the /
- Press ENTER
Let the tool run and check for any corrupt files. It will also repair these files and then throw up the final report for you.
Once the scanning is complete you can restart your computer as usual and continue working.
Solution 5: Run DISM
- Connect your computer to the internet
- Right click on ‘Start’ and then choose ‘Command Prompt’. Double check if you have administrative rights to perform this task.
- Type, ‘DISM /Online/ Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth’ and make sure there is a single space after every /
- Press ENTER
- Let the online tool check and repair any corrupt files. After it is done, restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
If you are still facing the error code 0x80070020, call us on our customer support phone number and we can help you out right away.