5 WAYS TO FIX ERROR CODE 0X80070002
Error Code 0x80070002 is a common Windows errors that can occur in almost any version of the operating system. The message accompanying the error code can differ from one version to the other, however it will indicate: ‘Error(s) found: Code 80070002 Windows Update encountered an unknown problem’.
This error message is indicative of an issue related to Windows Update. The error occurs when you are trying to download and install updates and Microsoft Security Client is initializing it. The error may also occur while taking a backup.
Common Reasons for Error Code 0X80070002
- Fluctuating or unreliable internet connection
- Incorrect time settings on the computer
- Mismatch in system DataStore folder
- Corrupt registry or system files
- A stopped Windows update service on the computer
DIY SolutionsTo Fix Error Code 0X80070002 On Windows
Even though this is a common Windows update problem, you can get an easy solution for it. Here are some simple DIY solutions that you can try out easily.
Solution 1: Simple Steps to Fix Error Code 0X80070002
- Check if the internet connection is stable
- Wait for the internet connection to stabilize
- Try to install the pending Windows updates once more
- If the error is coming with Microsoft Security Essential, then perform a System Reboot
- Try once more to see if the error is fixed.
Solution 2: Check and Adjust Time Settings
- Press Win + R to open dialogue box
- Type ‘Control Panel’ and press ENTER
- Open ‘Date and Time’
- Press on ‘Change Date and Time’ and make the required changes
- Press OK once you have made the changes
- Press ‘Internet Time’ tab and then select ‘Change Settings’
- Check ‘Synchronize with an Internet Time Server’ and then select the Time Server from the list
- Press ‘Update Now’
- Press ‘OK’ twice to complete the configuration and close all open windows.
- Restart the computer before accessing Windows Update
Solution 3 – Install Pending Updates
Even though you may have installed Windows Updates earlier, however certain updates require you to restart the computer to complete installation. Such pending updates cause the error code 0x80070002.
- Click ‘Start’
- Type ‘Update’ in search box and hit Enter
- Identify any uninstalled updates on the Windows Update dialogue box
- Right click to update the same
- Try to access Windows Update and search for new updates for installation
Solution 4 – Check and Automate Windows Update Service If Stopped
- Search for ‘Services’
- Enter password when prompted and then click‘Continue’.
- Search for ‘Windows Update Service’
- Double click or right click on the service and change the settings to ‘Automatic’ and click ‘Start’
- If the service is running, then stop it and shut down the computer
- Restart and activate the service once more
- The error should now be resolved.
Solution 5 – Delete Software Distribution Folder
- Click and launch Windows Explorer
- Navigate to ‘C:Windows’ folder
- Search and delete the folder ‘SoftwareDistribution’. In case you don’t want to delete it, rename as ‘SoftwareDistributionOld’.
- Restart the computer and access Windows Update Store
- You would now see updates being downloaded and installed.