Error Code 80072EFE
The error code 80072efe is a common update error that can come up in any Windows operating system. The error indicates that there is an issue with the Windows Update Service. The error message that accompanies the code indicates that, “Some updates were not installed: ## Error(s) found: Code 80072EFE” or “Windows update encountered an unknown error” or something on similar lines.
Common Reasons For Error Code 80072efe
There can be more than one reason for this Windows update error to throw up. Here are some of the common reasons why it may occur.
- Unreliable or unsteady Internet connection
- Accumulated junk files
- Download of a program when the computer is installing the update(s)
- Virus or malware infection
- Installed antivirus or malware program
- Incorrect network configuration
- Corrupt Windows registry files
- Damaged or outdated system drivers.
DIY Solutions to Fix Windows Update Error Code 80072EFE
Since, there can be more than one reason for this Windows Update error to occur, we take a look at the possible DIY solutions to fix the issue. You can start with Solution 1 and then proceed till you get a resolution.
Solution 1: Troubleshooting Steps to Fix Error Code 80072efe
- Run a scan with the installed antivirus program in the computer and rule out the possibility of any malicious program
- Check the internet connection of the computer and see if it’s steady or not. An interrupted net connection can cause problems in updates and installations
- Try disabling the installed antivirus and firewall programs and then try to access Windows Update Center. Check if that was causing the issue
- Check the most recent installed program and then uninstall it and check if the error is fixed. You can reinstall the program once the problem is resolved.
Solution 2: Troubleshoot Windows Update
- Press Win + X
- Click ‘Control Panel’
- Type ‘Troubleshoot’ in search box
- Click ‘View All’
- Click ‘Windows Update’ at the bottom
- Go through the instructions given on the resultant screen and check if the error is resolved.
Solution 3: Update System Drivers
- Right click ‘My Computer’ and select ‘Properties’
- Select ‘Device Manager’
- Go through all listed devices and check if there is any device with a yellow exclamation mark
- Right click on the identified device and click, ‘Update Driver’
- Restart the computer once the update is done
Your error should now be resolved
Solution 4: Run System File Checker
- Click ‘Start’
- Type ‘cmd’ in the ‘Search programs and files’
- Press CTRL+ Shift+ Enter and then click ‘OK’ to open Command Prompt
- Type, ‘chkdsk/f/r’ and press ‘Enter’
- Type ‘Y’ in the resultant window
- Restart the computer to allow disk check to run.
- Once complete, check if the error is resolved
Solution 5: Delete CatRoot2 Folder to fix code 80072EFE
- Click ‘Start’> ‘Run’
- Type ‘services.msc’ in the Run box and press Enter
- Double click ‘Cryptographic Services’ and then click ‘Stop’ if it is running
- Navigate to ‘C:WindowsSystem32’ folder
- Delete ‘CarRoot2’ folder
- Go back to ‘Cryptographic Services’ and double click on it before restarting it
- Check to see if the Windows Update error is resolved