SMART WAYS TO FIX ERROR CODE 0X8007007B: WINDOWS ACTIVATION ERROR
If you are getting the error code 0x8007007B it means that there is a problem with your Windows Activation. The error code is followed by a message, ‘The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect’. It will then direct you to go to the Control Panel to find how you can activate the Windows. The error can happen when you use a volume licensed media to install Windows 7, 8 and 10. It can also occur when installing Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 and 2012.
DIY SOLUTIONS TO FIX ERROR CODE 0X8007007B IN WINDOWS
Solution 1: Activate Windows Via Phone Call
One easy way to fix this issue is by calling Microsoft and telling them to activate it for you. Here is how to go about it.
- Open the search menu and click on the ‘Start’ key if you are using Windows 7 or Win + F to access search menu if you are on Windows 8, or 10.
- Type slui.exe 4 and press Enter. A new window will open. You can also access this window using Run command
- Press the Win + R keys and then type slui.exe 4 in the new window
- Click ‘OK’ and the phone activation window will open.
- Select the country from the drop down list and then select the phone activation option
- A new window will open with a toll free number that you can call
- You will be asked to provide the installation ID by the caller on the other side. They will then provide you with the activation code.
Solution 2: Activate With Product Key Dialog
To resolve this error, you can use the Command Prompt
- Press the Windows key and type cmd
- Right click on the Command Prompt and select open as Administrator
- Type slui 3 in the Command window and press Enter
- A new dialog box opens where you can enter the Windows product key
- Restart the computer once the process is complete
- The Windows will be activated and the error code will be resolved.
Solution 3: Activate Via The Command Prompt
- Click on ‘Start’ and search ‘cmd’.
- Right click on Command Prompt and select run as Administrator
- Press Win + X and then click Command Prompt with Admin access
- Type the code together with the activation key and press Enterslmgr.vbs -ipk<ACTIVATION KEY GOES HERE>
- Once the process is complete, confirmation of the product key will be displayed
- Type slmgr.vbs -ato and press Enter to activate the Windows
- Restart the computer for the changes to take effect
Solution 4: Activate With Previous Product Key
If you bought a computer with pre-installed Windows and then you upgraded it, then you would require the activation key. Here’s how to identify it.
- Press Win + X and select Command Prompt
- Enter the code ‘wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey’ and press Enter
- The previous product key will be displayed. You will require this for activation
- Click on Start and select ‘Settings’.
- Select the option for update and security and select the activation option
- Click the option to change the product key and enter the code. Accept the code and your Windows will be activated without any error.