HOW TO FIX ERROR STATUS 0XC000012F: WINDOWS BAD IMAGE
Error code 0xc000012f is a common problem when updating Windows 8. The error code can also occur in Windows 10. The error is characterized by multiple windows appearing that are related to system32\uxtheme.dll. For instance: officeclicktorun.exe – Bad Image C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll
The error can occur when the image file is not used in the right format. Here are the different solutions you can try to fix the issue.
DIY SOLUTIONS TO FIX ERROR STATUS0XC000012F
Solution 1: Uninstall Updates And Fix 0xc000012f Error
The first thing that you can try is to uninstall an update that can cause this error code. If you have Windows 8 with 64 bit system, then uninstall the KB2879017 update. This is the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer version 10. If the error occurred after a recent update, then uninstall it and once the error is resolved, you can install it back once more.
1. To uninstall press Win + F.
2. On the search menu type, ‘installed updates’
3. Click on the program and a new window will show with all available updates
4. Scroll through the list and find update KB2879017 and uninstall it.
If you are unable to uninstall the update, then you need to do a system restore. Here the steps to follow.
1. Open the search menu and press Win + F.
2. Type ‘restore’ and click on ‘restore your files from file history’
3. A new window will open showing all available restore points
4. Pick the one that occurred before the installation of the faulty update
5. Once the process is complete, mark the update as Windows within the Windows update settings. This will prevent automatic download and installation.
6. Uninstall recent update or restore the system to the point where it is not having any issue.
7. Solution 2: Install Directx
Solution 2: Install Directx
If the error code is linked to STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_NOT_MZ then the image file is not in the right format. You, therefore need to download and run the latest DirectX End-User Runtime program. Once you have downloaded the required tool, follow the on-screen instructions to install DirectX. Once done, check if the error code is resolved.
Solution 3: Check For New Updates
The issue can also be resolved when updating the copy of Windows. You can check the updates manually to ensure that the system has the latest system drivers and updates. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Press the Windows key and type, ‘Windows Update’ in the search bar
2. Click on the program and a new window will open
3. Select the option to check for Updates
4. The program will download the latest updates
5. You can then install the updates and check if the error is resolved
6. Also, open Device Manager and update drivers for all adapters
Solution 4: Clean Boot
Do a clean boot to check if any third party software is causing the issue. In this solution, no third-party service or program will interfere.
1. Press the Windows key and type ‘msconfig’
2. Click on the system configuration app
3. Once the window opens, select the option to hide all Microsoft services and click on ‘Disable All’
4. Select the startup tab and select the option to open the Task Manager
5. On the startup window, disable all software one by one
6. Click ‘OK’ to accept the settings and restart the computer
7. Check if the error is now resolved.
Solution 5: Install Visual C++ to fix error 0xc000012f
Try downloading Microsoft Visual Studio Redistributables. Pick the latest version to update. You can download the program from Microsoft website. You should install both the 32 bit and 64 bit version. Check if the error is now resolved.