ERROR CODE 0XC0000428: YOUR PC NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED
Error code 0xc0000428 is a Windows error code that is often seen when updating the operating system or when Windows can’t verify the digital signature of a particular file. This error message affects the Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. The possible cause for this error is registry issues.
Signs of error code 0XC0000428
As the system starts up, the boot manager loader that is there in Windows 7, 8 and 10 reads the boot configuration data and then displays the operating system selection menu. In certain situations when the user installs the new version of the operating system to an existing older version of the software, the boot manager entries are not updated properly, and the error occurs.
Here are the possible scenarios when this error occurs.
- A hardware or software change may have installed a file incorrectly or got damaged. This file may also be a malicious software from an anonymous source.
- The boot manager is outdated after a system update. This may occur during Windows installation process.
- Use of an older boot disc with a newer version of Windows. If the new version of the Windows is on a different hard drive and it is connected to the old version of Windows to dual boot, then the boot process stops. This can cause the error 0xc0000428 with the message, ‘Your PC needs to be Repaired’.
- An installation disc was disconnected before Windows installation. This can lead to the system bootloader to remain outdated and cause the error.
DIY Solutions to fix 0XC0000428 error code on Windows
Solution 1: Update Boot Manager Manually
- Boot from the Windows installation disc
- Click on ‘Repair your computer’ after selecting proper language and time
- Select the Windows installation drive, eg C:\ and click Next
- Choose ‘Command Prompt’ when the system recovery dialog box appears
- Type Bcdboot C:\windows /s D:\
- Where C:\windows is your Windows installation folder and
- D:\ is your active boot partition.
- Press ENTER
Solution 2: Disconnect Newly Connected Hardware
This problem can occur when there is a change in your computer’s hardware. If you have recently installed a new hardware, disconnect and reboot the computer. Check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 3:Uninstall Recently Installed Software
If you have newly installed a software application, then try uninstalling it from the computer. This software may have copied incompatible Dynamic Link Libraries files to the hard disk and that can cause the error code 0xc0000428. All installed software needs to be sorted by chronology with the help of programs and features under the Control Panel.
Solution 4:Rollback Currently Updated Driver
- Revert the earlier version of the recently updated driver with the help of Device Manager
- Right click on the device you recently updated
- Choose Rollback driver under Driver tab in Properties