WAYS TO FIX WINDOWS UPDATE ERROR CODE 80070103
Windows error code 80070103 (0x80070103) is a common update issue that can occur in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10. The error is often followed by the message ‘Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer’ or ‘Error(s) found: Code 80070103 Windows Update encountered an unknown error’ or ‘Windows Update ran into a Problem’.
Common Reasons Why You Get Error Code 80070103
There can be many different reasons that you may encounter the error code 80070103. Here are some of the most common reasons associated with it.
- While installing a device driver when the same driver is already installed in the system
- When Windows update attempts to install a device driver that is not compatible with the existing one. It simply means, the current device driver is of a higher rating than one that Windows tries to install.
- When updating the existing Windows operating system. This issue is mostly a proxy or an internal conflict issue.
- Device driver is outdated or is not functioning properly.
DIY SOLUTIONS TO FIX ERROR CODE 80070103
There can be different reasons why you are getting this error code and ways to fix the issue as well. Let’s take a look at each one of them.
Solution 1:Update Device Drivers
The first thing that you need to do is check if all your device drivers are updated and working properly. This mainly applies where you recently installed a new device.
You need to update device drivers that has a yellow triangle besides its name in Device Manager. You can download and update all drivers for the system using the Driver Agent Tool. Download and install it and then scan the PC for outdated drivers and finally download all drivers that needs to be updated.
Steps to download device driver manually
- Click Start and type, ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Run box and press Enter
- Expand the Device Manager and right click and select ‘Update Driver’
- Restart the computer once the update is complete.
Note: You may need to uninstall a device driver to update the latest one.
Solution 2:Hide Update
This method applies in case the error is encountered when upgrading the Windows operating system. The method will stop the Windows update from performing such reinstallation.
- Click and check for updates
- Click on ‘Optional updates are available’ link
- Right click on the update you need to hide before clicking on ‘Hide update’
- Complete by clicking to install remaining updates
- Click OK and restart the computer.
Solution 3:Configure Proxy Sever Settings
- Press Win + R and type cmd and hit Enter to open Command Prompt
- Type, ‘netshwinhttp show proxy’ into the prompt
You would be able to view the proxy server settings. Check the computer’s integrity and see if the message flashes, ‘Direct Access (no proxy server)’. Follow these steps from here:
- Press Win + R and type cmd in the Command Prompt
- Type, ‘sfc/scannow’ in the prompt and hit Enter
- Let the scan run through and then check if the error has resolved.